Monday, May 23, 2011

Waterpik, my new best friend (maybe).

I bought a portable Waterpik a few weeks ago.  I wasn't totally sold on it at first.  My hygienist recommended it as a way to keep things cleaner around the braces, and I had read in a couple places that it can replace flossing. That sounded pretty good, since flossing takes *forever*.

Here's my take on the Waterpik deal.  It does make my mouth feel cleaner when I'm done.  It feels like it's doing something good, and there are bits of food that come out even after I've brushed very thoroughly (and I have quite the pre-floss routine).  However, I'm really messy with it!  Water squirts everywhere.  I thought maybe it's a learning curve and that it would get better.  It did get better, but it's still pretty messy.  It's the nature of the beast.

The downside--I still floss.  I floss after I pik, and I still find stuff.  Not a lot, but it's there, and I'm not taking any chances.  I thought maybe that I just had to get better at it.  Well, flossing still finds stuff, and I think I am better at the Waterpik thing.

I considered returning the Waterpik since I still have to floss, but decided against it.  First, I've *used* it, and it just seemed gross to return it.  Second, it does get stuff out that's stuck in the brackets, so I decided it's worth it, even though I still have to floss.  Maybe others don't have to floss still, but I'd test it out for yourself before making that decision.

I got the Waterpik Waterflosser Cordless PLUS.  I chose the cordless because I don't have a lot of counter space.  If you have the counter space, I've read that the Waterpik Ultra Flosser may be a better choice.  With the cordless one, I use about one tank for the bottom, and another tank for the top.  I pik for a little less than two minutes.  It's not a big deal to fill it the second time.  Warm water makes it more comfortable!  I use the low setting, but may work myself up to the high...maybe then I won't have to floss...Oh, joy.

3 comments:

  1. My sentiments are the same. I have one. I make a mess with it. I still floss. I guess I use it for when I really want that extra oompf clean feeling. Like I am really giving my teeth the cleaning works. But yeah....eh. I just asked my OS if I could start using mine again and he said, "Yeah, but I don't think they are that great. They really only dislodge large particles". I have to say I agree with him. My favorite is the periodontal attachment though. That is really the main one I use. I really go to work at my gum line because I feel like I am getting gum overgrowth since I've had braces. So lately, I am squiring as much water up there as possible! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you probably don't want to add another step to your regimen, but i LOVE proxy brushes. I think that's what they're called. I carry one to work along with my portable toothbrush and toothpaste and use it during the day after i eat. I also use it in the evening with listerine whitening which foams up around my brackets and does a great job at keeping the bonding white. the listerine whitening is a pre-brush rinse. the proxy brushes look like little christmas trees.

    although i usually floss nightly, there have been a couple of times where i've just used the proxy brushes in place of floss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those brushes too! They save me sooo much embarrassment. I didn't know about using the listerine whitening. I'm going to try that. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete